Temporary Visitor Information
Citizens of countries that are not listed, do not have a visa exemption arrangement with Japan and need to apply for a visa.
Required documents for the visa application for a temporary visit to Japan. This includes sightseeing and business trips, (e.g. attending of a conference), study trips, visit of a member of your family or friends and similar. Please contact us, if you have further questions about your purpose of your journey to Japan. The period of stay is 15, 30 or 90 days.
- Valid passport
- Valid residence permit for Germany
- One completed and signed visa application form / All citizens from the former Soviet Union please submit two visa application forms.
- One passport-sized photograph (frontal, no scans no copies) which has been taken within the last six months and which is not damaged / All citizens from the former Soviet Union please submit two passport sized photos.
- Flight reservation
- Hotel bookings during the length of your stay or
- Invitation letter and letter of guarantee if the applicant is going to stay with his/her family/with friends as well as a salary certification or similar (for students: student enrolement certification) of the inviting person. If the person is a foreign national we need a copy of his/her passport , visa, and alien registration card, if the person is a Japanese citizen we need a copy of his/her registration certificate.
- Proof of financial resources: bank account statement (salary certification)
- For students: enrolement certificate
- Schedule for the proposed trip
Please note that all information given in this section is of a general nature. It may be that when an applicant applies for a visa, s/he is asked to provide documents which have not been mentioned here.
German Citizens and most of the EU-citizens, Russian citizens and US-citizens do not have to pay visa fees.
Information about potential visa fese:
(Please contact us if you have further questions about this.)
Visa Fees (as of April 2017)
General visa fee*
Visa fee for Indian citizens
*General visa fee concerns citizens of the following countries: China, Brazil, Indonesia, Vietnam, France, United Kingdom, Switzerland, Finland, all African countries if a visa is necessary, and other countries
Please note that we do not acccept visa application by email or post.
The issuance of the visa can take five working days, sometimes less sometimes longer (up to several weeks). Please submit your visa application well-timed.
You do not need an appointment to apply for a visa. Please come to the consulate during our opening hours: Monday to Friday from 9am to 12. 15 pm and from 2 pm to 4.30 pm.
If you have further questions please contact us via
Phone: (030) 21094 0
Information about an Entertainer-Visa please click here.